David’s way: Duck Breast in Cherry Sauce
I am patting myself on the back having produced this special meal that was actually very easy.
If you want a change from a steak, I recommend this for a Friday night meal with not too much fuss.
Note, a duck breast is a similar price to a sirloin steak. It takes less than 30 minutes… Here’s how I did it:
- 2 Duck Breasts; diamond scored
- Half jar Cottage Delight Morello Cherry Jam
- 1 glass Red Wine
- 200ml Potts’ Chicken Stock
- 1tbsp Dijon Mustard
- half tsp Marmite, optional!
- Heat pan to hot with a little oil.
- Sear duck – skin side down – until golden; about 3-4 minutes.
- Flip over, and put the pan into a hot oven at 200C
- Cook in the oven for about 10 minutes; until 55C on the probe for medium rare. (I gave Mrs L’s duck an extra 4 minutes because she likes it well done.)
- Let the meat rest, while you crack on with making the sauce.
- Heat jam, wine and stock in a saucepan.
- Bubble until nice sauce consistency
- Add mustard, and salt and pepper if needed.
- Also add the Marmite if you prefer a more savoury taste.
- Slice the duck and season with sea salt, sauce the meat and serve with French fries and a green vegetable.